HOWTO: How do I Compact and repair a Jet Database?
It is strongly recommended that you periodically compact and repair your JET database file to help improve performance, eradicate errors and to reduce file size by recovering disk space from previously deleted items.
You have the choice of compacting and repairing automatically or manually.
- Click here to download the Compact and Repair Utility.
- Save and run or run the setup on the computer running the WorkgroupShare server and complete the setup.
- Run the utility by clicking on the start button >> (all) programs >> Compact and Repair >> Compact and Repair Utility. If you encounter problems launching the program, you may need to download the VB6 runtimes from Microsoft.
- Confirm that the database path is correct and click on the Compact and Repair button.
- Once the process is complete make a note of the path to which the old database was backed up and click OK.
- Check that the WorkgroupShare service or executable has been restarted.
- Close down all Softalk components that are installed, including any Softalk administrator programs.
- Make a backup of your WorkgroupShare database file. This is usually C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softalk\Data\SCS.mdb or C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Softalk\Data\SCS.mdb for 64bit computers. (The database may actually be named WorkgroupShare.mdb in the WorkgroupShare\Data folder if you upgraded from WorkgroupShare v1). If you are not sure please click here for instructions on how to find out.
Open the Data Sources (ODBC) applet in Control Panel (under Administrative Tools in the Control Panel)
Please Note: If a 64-bit version of Windows is installed then the x86 (32bit) version of this application must be run from:
- Under the "System DSN", find the SoftalkCollaborationSuite data source and click Configure. Check the path here points to the file you have just backed up. If not ensure this file is backed up before you continue.
- Now click the Repair button. The default file name should be the same as the original file, click Ok to accept this. Once complete a message is displayed to confirm the repair has completed.
- Now click on Compact. The default file to compact from should be the same file name you have just repaired. Click on Ok to continue. Also select the same file to compact into and make sure the format is set to Version 4.X (this defaults to 3.X so you should change it to 4.X) and click OK. Click Yes to replace the file and wait for the compact process to complete.
- Close the Configure dialog and the Control Panel and restart the server programs that were stopped earlier.
- WorkgroupShare 2.x
- WorkgroupShare 1.x